Monday, June 11, 2007

Training is over!

Greetings to all,
Happy Birthday, Hollie!!
The training, studying and tests are over and I have made a few runs with tourists and got them back in one piece. Have done laundry twice now and I don't care what anyone says, you can wash your socks with your jeans.
I've been pondering writing a book about this summer and so I will send exerps from my writings from time to time. I won't send the entire thing because I want you to buy my book. Ha-ha. (And by the way, girls, I think I have caught on to spellchecking a blog!!)

Exert No. 1

The first night went fast. The sun was still high in the sky at 11:00 p.m. but I tried to get some sleep. I turned over every hour to check the clock, you know how it is when you are afraid you will oversleep. It is quiet but the room was hot, just like all rooms are in Alaska. There is an old oscillating fan on an ornate stand, which makes it look old - but it doesn't have any creaks and doesn't have any rhythm like an old fan would have. It cooled the room enough so that I could cat nap. I saw 2:00 a.m., then 3:00 then 4:00 and finally at 5:00 and the alarm went off - that's when I wanted to turn over and go back to sleep and dream of great adventures of gold strikes and hunting parties and dog sled racing with teams of huskies through deep snow. But I had to go pee so up I got, turned on the shower and turned off the alarm. Got my shower and got dressed, but I think I should have savored my shower a lot longer because it will be my last good shower for some time I fear. But such is life. It was 6:00 and the continental breakfast was on so I went for the first waffle of the day, but I didn't do it right and the desk clerk had to show me how to make Alaska waffles. I think it was the only one made that day because I think I was the only one staying at the hotel. One quick waffle and an apple to go and breakfast was over. 6:15 and I headed for the convention center where everyone is to meet at 6:30 and we are off and gone on the trail to Denali. This is how I remember it, in my way: Everyone is anxious to get going and all have great anticipation of what is to come. It has rained a warm rain for the last three nights and the sun has been high and bright in the blue sky with the temperature getting up in the middle 60's and made the snow on the flats melt and the trail will fall out soon. But we mush on. The going is hard but we all know what is at the end of the trail. We make 49 miles and everyone is in good spirits, talking to all their new friends, finding all about them. The sun is high and bright and everyone is feeling real good. Before you know it, we have made it all the way to Trapper Creek so we decide to take a little rest at the weigh station. There is a store at Trapper Creek and all are in favor of stopping so that they can stock up on some last minute provisions to last us for the rest of today's journey. Only a short stop and it's back on the trail. The farther we go down into the valley the less snow there is and the more you can see the signs that spring is coming. There is a green tint to the trees, which give the ground its hint of green as well. The birch and the aspen are showing their tiny leaves that shimmer in the sun like fishing lures going through the water of a crystal clear lake. The spruce, the pine and the hemlock have all lifted their bows toward the sun with the new green tips holding their heads up as if to say "come on, spring, hit me, I am ready." The rivers have opened their doors from being shut by winter's icy grip and beacon for the river people to don their ores and red vests and slide down their fast, rippling tops. It is now 12:00 and time to stop. All have been quiet for some time now, after saying all they could say to someone they don't know. We have reached Ryley Creek and this water says come on down and ride me - it is a fast trip down to where we will spend the night. Some want to take the fast waters to camp but it will not be safe for the tenderfoots to ride the fast gray water - for somewhere down river there will be sheets of ice on top of the water in a small dip in the river and it can be 100 feet or more long and no way to stop because the river runs much faster under the ice and will take all that come down her under. 100 yards in that 30 degree water will suck the life out of a man and if you make it through the first one there will be another and another until your lungs are full of water and the warm spring air you can no longer feel on your body. There is a grumbling in the group - some call for the water and its speed and some don't. We stop for a rest at Jackson Creek. The grumbling is louder amongst the group and finally they all talk and it is decided someone needs to turn down the radio. It's too loud...........

Leaves you hungry for more doesn't it!!??!!

I'm fine - this place is great - seeing a lot of wildlife - hope to send pictures soon - I MISS YOU ALL - blog me soon

My mailing address here is: Monty Carpenter, P.O. Box 707, Milepost 237.8 Park Highway, Denali, Alaska 99755.

5 comments:

Mrs. Lowe said...

Hey Dad! Thanks for the birthday greeting! It was a pretty good b-day. We drove Erin back to the airport, stopped in Henderson to shop a little. I got a new shirt for Mike's wedding. Bill got me some perfume for my b-day and it came with a free gift that had all kinds of girly foof stuff. Sara got me some cleaning stuff for my new car. When Mom comes in July, we are celebrating all 4 of our b-days. She told me you are ready for more movies and that 24 didn't record. We still have it stored on our TV so we will try to record it onto a DVD again. We will also get to taping some more movies ASAP. It was great to read your blog. I am soooo glad you are doing so well. I really had no doubts. Those tourists are so lucky to you as their driver. They will remember this trip forever. Your 1st book excerpt is great and it does leave me wanting more. You are an awesome writer. I love your descriptions and metaphors! It is guaranteed to be a bestseller. I will be in Illinois next weekend (starting the 22nd, late)!!! Can't wait! Bill will get there on the 28th or 29th, can't remember. We will be there until Saturday, July 7. Well, I best be getting to bed. I am exhausted tonight. Oh, we went out to the Fireside (bar) Friday night. We met this guy, Rick, a truck driver from Arkansas. He was a real nice guy. He has stopped in Mattoon at the truck stop several times. He knew exactly where it was and described the area to a tee. Isn't that cool?!?! Well, I will chat later. I love you and miss you. ~Hollie, now 31 years old

sara said...

Hey Dad! It is so good to hear from you! Sounds like things are going great! THings here are back to noraml after Erin left. I had about 70 emails waiting for me at work! Nothing like a warm welcome back! I am hosting my first advisory council lunchoen tomarrow, so that should be exciting! I need to dress nicely, so I have to laundry now, but I wanted to say hi and that I love ya, keep the excerpts coming, I am dying to now why the radio was too loud! Have fun, be safe! Love Sara

Christy said...

Hey Monty!!
I really enjoyed reading your first excerpt from your book. I'll be first in line to buy it. Well....first in line, behind Hollie, Sara and Linda of course. Alaska sounds beautiful, not that I had any doubts. I would love to see it for myself some time. Are you able to attach pictures to your blogs?
I'm really looking forward to Hollie coming back next week. Dawn and I are planning a couple of girly fun nights for her...although Hollie isn't aware of that yet, ha ha.
Well, it's back to work for me. Can't wait to read your next blog!! Take care,
Christy

Mrs. Lowe said...

Hey daddio. Evidently it was all about you this evening. Of course I think about ya all the time, but tonight u kept coming into conversation. We were in Laughlin (shocker, I know) and I was at the cashier breaking my ticket (turned $20 into $100 on Star Wars penny slots). The lady that was working was from Maine, you know how they have where they are from on their name tags? So, of course, we had to chat about your travels there for the big bear hunts. She was fascinated. Then, a little while later, I'm playing at the Aquarius, this guy sits next to me and we start chatting. He says he's from Alaska!! He lives just a few miles from Denali! However, he was born in Woodstock, Illinois. How ironic is that!!!!!!!!!! So, once again, I had to brag about ya. He said he was sure you were loving the atmosphere and I told him you were. Got to see the pictures today! They were great. What was that purple stuff on the ground? I forwarded the pictures to my friends and CHristy and I are both curious. Also, I sent you a picture of both Sara and I's new cars to your email. Well, it's about 1 a.m. here and I am gonna hit the hay. Big weekend of laundry, groceries and finishing that curriculum. Woohoo! Love and Miss you! ~Hollie

Unknown said...

Jeremiah Carpenter.It sounds like things are going well.We sure miss u around here too. Remember all the laughter you need is in that memory bank of yours. I look forward to making more when u get back and hearing about the new ones u have from there. But if u need a quick fix, even Hardy beat Mark the other day in golf.Kelli says HI.Love u!Matt