Sunday, July 8, 2007

Hello Everyone - hope you all had a good 4th! I had to work but it was a good day - good group of people and I got back to camp early enough in the day to enjoy the cook-out they had for all of the staff. I guess when it gets dark they will have the fireworks! Ended up having to work one of my days off this week on Thursday, but on my Friday off I did something different for the first time - I went "hiking"!! Had my first encounter solo with a grizzly while I was up there - talk about the hair standing up on the back of your neck. He was across a creek from where I emerged from some woods. He was digging along the edge of the water - stopped and looked up at me and then went on about his business. I back stepped into the woods and went further towards the road before coming out of the woods again. He had gone the opposite way. Got some pictures of him, though.

It is REALLY good to read your blogs - keep 'em coming!

. . . . it continues


It is June 26th at 1:50 in the afternoon and I must head out soon - the trail calls. A new day in the wilderness and I think I shall go back to my old bait. Yesterday's didn't work as well. The good thing about the bait and the catch is that it is never the same. I had been using the same bait for two weeks - and it has worked well - but I changed strategies yesterday and it did not work as well. No one wanted to get their picture taken with me when we were back safely off the road and their gratuities were not up to par. So it is back to the old red wigglers and barbless hooks. I find great joy in just being able to make tracks toward the high one every day. It is like falling from the heights of the eagle at Six Flags with arms stretched high and a scream of terror coming from a face that will soon be all smiles. But to set the hook on 20 to 30 people and have them all eating out of your hand is quite exhilarating. Just like the wide, wide world of sports - you know the thrill of victory and the agony of defeat. I have had both. Twice I have been asked if I am Amish and yesterday I was asked if my wife was Amish, which was a first. I guess I should stop telling people that I am from Cooks Mills, a small Amish community in central Illinois!! The trick is to chum with lots of facts and figures to start with but you need to keep a close eye on them in the review mirror. If they start to nod, I throw in a quick story about some Paul Bunyan type local that was the first to climb Mt. McKinley with a pack full of jelly donuts, Pepsi cola and carrying a 14 foot long flag pole to raise his gangs colors on. They all love these stories but you have to be very careful not to give them too much homespun all at once. There might just be a brave soul sitting in the back of the bus that you didn't recognise as such when they got on. That is the first thing you do each trip out as they give me their ticket - I always look them over very closely and make sure that I have only vacationers getting on the bus. For the most part, they are easy to spot - most have that "where's your mother" look about them or the dreaded fly-catcher face with mouth open, humped shoulders, pants pulled up way past their waist giving them the nine inch high water look. I've learned to spot most of them before I ever get off the bus to greet them. I sit up much higher than the group standing there awaiting their journey and can look down on them when I pull up. If I see that with every other person standing there I can only the top of heads then I know I have all fly-catchers and their wives. Now, a fly-catchers wife wouldn't dare ask a question of me without first elbowing her pet fly-catcher at least four times and asking him the question loud enough for the bus behind us to hear, so this gives me lots of time to drift back to the facts and figures - not one of my stories here - too many back-woods stories all at once and they will get brave and start to think they know me (or more than me). Then the first thing you know they will ask, rather skeptically, "Are you from Alaska"? That is when I have to show them some of what I am using for bait. I've only had this happen four or five times and it is always when we stop for a break and one who has become brave will attempt to trip me up and ask me what the Latin pronunciation of grissley
is. Without hesitation I will tell them Urssus Arctos. This is a trick question because they have all been told this earlier by a park ranger - this brave traveler if just seeing if I know. They figure that when I don't, THEY can tell ME - right after they rip off their shirt and expose their blue chest with "super vacationer" written in capital letters. This in turn, they think, will give them some sort of super powers, just like when they are mowing the lawn at home and they cannot hear their wife yelling at them to not throw grass into her flower garden. I've had a few of these super vacation heroes before. They are the easiest to spot for when they first get on the bus they find a need to tell everyone else that they are on vacation and have been for five weeks already - like this will give a higher pecking order among the other passengers. Invariably, at the first stop, they will get off the bus and wait for all the rest to get off and then, with a smile that would rival the Joker from Batman and one hand tightly gripping their collar ask, "so, can you tell me the Latin name for grizzley?" At first I give him that 'deer in the headlights' look - like I've just been asked the 64 million dollar question and I don't have a clue to the answer - and then, just as he starts to rip the front of his shirt open I'll say Urssus Arctos - but it is too late for him to stop - he's already ripped the first three buttons and half the sleeve off and then he realizes that my Latin pronunciation rivals even that of Vinnie (the Pope) and he stops in mid-rip and returns to his fly-catcher posture. Now he must go back to the back of the bus and tell his wife that I must have studied for the priesthood because my Latin is impeccable and all she wants to know, with her elbow penetrating his ribcage like a locomotive wheel crank, is how did you tear your shirt!

It doesn't matter in which order I cast out bait or if I just chum big or little pieces a bit, the trick is not to set the hook until I am on the way back - to keep them steadily feeding and presently I have gotten really good at it. Tell them something unbelievable when we first start out, which I do, like "Today is my first day" They all know in their hearts that this cannot be true. There is no way the National Park Service would let them be taken out into the wilderness by someone who had never been there before. So it's lots of "Sure, we know, sure" The chum is in the water and they are all swimming around the bait. So for the next seven hours I chum and cast with facts and figures and stories of gold and back woods adventures and the names of plants and trees, animals' habits - if they migrate or change color in the winter - do the wolves eat them or can a grizzley outrun a dall sheep and that we have 37 mammals, 167 birds, 670 plants and one amphibian. And on and on and on I go until I think they can hold no more. We are on the way back, just before we go back over Polychrome, which is a mountain sitting about 6,000 feet high with no guard rails on the road and just enough room for one bus to get down in most places. The way is straight down and around and down. This is a great time to set the hook because all are very quiet and scared - some hide their head under their coat and won't look. This is a great time to act like I am not paying attention and that is when I tell them I am from Illinois - a little town called Cooks Mills and that today really is my first day and I make them all believe it too. I know I've done a good job of feeding them info and that they believe me by the way then applaud and cheer. When we get back, even the super vacationer's wife wants to get her picture taken with me and her shirt-torn fly-catcher husband. Life is good.

5 comments:

sara said...

Hi Dad! Sounds like things are good with you! How is the fire situation? I think there are some close to here. The skies have been a little hazier, and I think it is due to some of the smoke! Hollie and I were talking today about it and remembering the time that you told us we could see the smoke from the Yellowstone fire. It was probably just from the chemical plant in Tuscola, but we believed you!! As always, huh! Well, I have successfully made my first trip to the airport! Actually, the traffic was not that bad at all, I even found myself passing a few cars. The one bad thing about being the driver though, is you cant really enjoy the scenery. I guess I didnt realize how much I like to look around at it all when Hol drives! It sure is good to have them back here! I am looking forward to when mom comes, only 10 more days!
I took my polygraph test on Friday, didnt even get electrocuted! I did tell the guy that I was afraid of elecricity, and that you always like to "buzz" me when I am touching anything electrical just to watch me jump! He got a good laugh out of it! I should know soon when my psych test will be. Kim called me Friday morning and asked if I would stay for the same amount of money Probation was offering, I asked for some time to think about it, but I knew then that I would say no. It isnt just the money, it is the job security! So tomorrow I will tell them that! It is finally starting to cool down a little here, nothing over 110 forecasted through the week. Well, I am gonna let Hol on now! Keep writing and making memories! Stay safe! Love you so much! Sara

sara said...

Hollie here-forget to change the sign in. Hi there! We're home!!!!!!!!! It's good to be home. I had a great time visiting, of course, but I'm glad I'm home. I missed my seester and my girls and the scenery. Can't wait 'til Mom comes in 10 days!!!!!! We're gonna decorate my classroom while Sara and Bill are at work, primitive style of course. Then, we're not sure what all we're gonna do. Tonight we were watching the travel channel. It was Alaska night. So, that made it Dad night. It was really cool to be seeing what you are seeing. We saw the High One and the roads you drive on and the buses you drive. Looked for ya, didn't catch ya on that one though. There was a murder in Mattoon the night we left. Man, I miss everything! Some kid Sara graduated with was shot and killed at Burger King!!!! Crazy, huh? All of the kids got your postcards. They were so excited. Riley was telling her mom, "We got a card from Uncle Monty!!" MacKenzie was thrilled, so Trenton was too. You had told her to draw pictures of the fireworks and she has some for you. Hopefully they will get them mailed out to ya. Braden's postcard is sitting in his bedroom so he can see it all the time. Man, he is a chunker!! And the twins are growing like crazy! And I saw Jen and Andy's baby, Maddy, and Heather's baby girl, Brie. There were babies everywhere back there! Mark and Catherine put in a pool. It is nice. Uncle CHarlie and Aunt Dorinda got a new car-a Buick Rainier (sp?). That's the kind of car Tiger Woods has in those commercials so Uncle CHuck and he are one in the same now. Well, I am trying to get vacation laundry done and I just heard the buzzer. Loved the entry today! This was one of the funnier ones. As always, you cease to amaze me, Dad. Keep following that dream. Continue to Inspire those flycatchers and all of us back in the lower 48. I love you! ~Hollie

sara said...

Hey Dad. How are oyu today? I am doing good. TOday was an interesting day. Kim called again and not only offered to match the salary of probation, but offered job security in the sense that I would become a contract administrator and make sure the programs were in compliance with thier programs and report directly to Jerry on that. My salary would be paid by all of the programs, so if Healthy Families were to go away, I would still have a job. I called Kathy at probation and made sure everything was a go. She said I have the job when I pass the psych test, and I take it July 20. I know I will pass that. She also assured me the position was in Kingman, not Bullhead. My gut is telling me probation still, so thats where I am going. It is flattering that they are trying so hard to keep me,I am honored that they are that impressed with my work, but I dont think I will be truly happy unless I go for the probation job! I wish I could call you and talk to you about it, but by the time you read this, I will have already told Kim that I am leaving for sure. I hope it is the right call. Nothing else really new around here, 8 more days until mom comes! Hope you are having good runs! Watch out for bears! Good night! Love Sara

Mrs. Lowe said...

Hi dad. It's Thursday and I'm just messing around on the computer waiting for my roomates to come home. Guess what? I have my own blog now!!! I made one for school. All of us 5th grade teachers are each making one to interact with our families and students. I went to lumch with Rhonda today and she told me about it. So, I came home and started mine. You have to check it out. It is www.mrslowesclass.blogspot.com
There isn't much to it yet, but once there will be. I'm gonna take before and after pictures of the classroom this week and next when Mom and I are getting it ready and post to it. It was fun making it. It was, as always, great to talk to you last night. You sounded good. 6 more wakeups and Mom is here. WooWoo. Not very many wakeups and I go back to work. I'm looking forward to it though. Oh, guess what else? Rhonda and I were at the school today checking out our kids test scores from last year and talking with Debbie. She showed us our class lists for this year. I had at least 4-5 people REQUEST to have me for their kid's teacher!!!!!!!!!!! I have only been there for 1 year. Isn't that cool?!?!?! That made me feel awesome! Well, I better get back to the computer. I got a mean game of hearts going. Just learned to play that one. Kinda like it. I love you and Miss you!!!!
~ Hollie

Mrs. Lowe said...

Hi again dad. Just noticed when I posted that last comment that from now on when I post a comment it will say "Mrs. Lowe said..." because of my blog with blogspot titled Mrs. Lowe's Class. Funny!!!
Love You-Bye.
~ Hollie (a.k.a. Mrs. Lowe)